Sunday, September 6, 2009

Low tide in Tamarindo estuary.

You can tell that it is low tide in the estuary by the gap between the water level and the trees. We are still in the wide part of the estuary, heading from the mouth by the ocean up into the backwaters, which I will show tomorrow.

At the right edge of this photo there is a hint of the dominant vegetation to come, which are the mangrove trees that I mentioned yesterday.

Our Tamarindo estuary tour took several hours. It included a stop and a walk through the forest as well as the boat ride gliding through the still waters and looking for wildlife.

Today is Sunday, so my wife and I have a new post on our Viva la Voyage travel site. Today we are featuring one of our favorite cities, Buenos Aires, Argentina, including a few photos that show the pulsating action of the city. It is quite a contrast to the slow pace of life in the Tamarindo estuary.

5 comments:

brattcat said...

Thanks for helping us to read the tides in this shot. I love that exposed root system on the right. Are those the mangrove roots?

Dave-CostaRicaDailyPhoto.com said...

Brattcat,
Yes, the exposed roots are the mangrove roots. I will have several close photos of them in the upcoming days.

glenda said...

I can remember lots of darling monkeys hanging out in those low hanging trees.

Unknown said...

I love the mangrove habitat! When I used to keep big tanks, one of them was a brackish aquarium mainly with puffers and when I visited Costa Rica I saw a lot of them in Tortuguero! :-)

By the way, I'm so intrigued with the amazing story you told me! :-) I left you a comment on the same post.

Julie ScottsdaleDailyPhoto.com said...

Lovely reflection and it does look rather peaceful as you head into the mangroves. I will have to take this tour next time I am in Langosta.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...