Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Ringed kingfisher

I mentioned that the Tamarindo estuary was habitat for 57 species of birds. Here is the ringed kingfisher, which is the largest kingfisher in Costa Rica, reaching 41 cm (16 inches).
The ringed kingfisher is distinctive because of its long, sharp bill, its reddish belly, and green-blue wings, back, chest and head, and the white ring around its neck.

It hunts in both salt and fresh water, and estuaries are a perfect habitat for it. The ringed kingfisher tends to hang out on higher branches than smaller kingfishers and plunge into the water for prey. I imagine that the still waters of the estuary make it easier to spot its prey.

6 comments:

Sharon said...

What a beautiful bird. I remember seeing when I visited. This is a fantastic photo, I wish mine was as good.

brattcat said...

That is one powerful looking beak. Great capture.

Julie ScottsdaleDailyPhoto.com said...

I like kingfishers and this one is particularly pretty. the coloring and rings on this bird are very nice.

Anonymous said...

The feathers are nice. I would have expected more vibrant colors but maybe they would be a problem fishing.

glenda said...

What an interesting bird to use salt and fresh water for its food source. Neat picture.

Unknown said...

Beautiful! What a great capture!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...